Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mushy Star Wars Feels Post


So I sit here, at 1am, writing a fanfic that the ever-lovely Tara inspired me to write….when I felt the need to type up a blog post.  A lot has happened since I last wrote an update on 2Thine….the main thing is that I have a new Fandom.  DOCTOR. WHO.

But I'll get into that later.  I have acquired two new fandoms this summer.  Doctor Who and Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm so in love with both.  So many feels, so much awesomeness and perfection.  But this is besides the point of this post.  As we get nearer and nearer to Celebration VI (ONLY 16 FREAKING DAYS AWAY) I feel the dire need to discuss my very first true fandom, the one that all this *gestures to life* has spawned from. 
Star Wars.



First, allow me to shed some light on the subject….(major props to anyone who gets that quote…;D)
Without Star Wars, I definitely DEFINITELY would not be the person I am today.  Back in 2010 when I got into Star Wars for the first time….*wow, that was a while ago* I was a really lonely kid who was honest-to-goodness trying to find her place in the world.  I can remember my mother bugging me about finding something I'm passionate about and following my dreams...but what where they?!
For those of you who don't know my Star Wars story (heck who hasn't, I've told it a billion times!) I was a hater before I became a fan.  My sister liked TCW and I would make fun of it.  Pfftttt….I look back on the episodes I made fun of with shame, seeing they make me freak out now. ;)

To put this honestly, I only watched A New Hope to get out of doing chores.  My parents were doing yard work and I was watching my sister Glory inside.  I was supposed to be doing the dishes and laundry….but I decided to watch Star Wars with her instead.  Best. Decision. And Shirking Of Responsibilities. EVER.
I watched A New Hope. I loved it.
I ate up the first half of Empire Strikes Back. I was crushed when we had to go to church that night because we had to stop the movie.  We came home and I finished it.  I distinctly remember my mom asking me what I thought so far, and my answer was something along the lines of "It's cool….Han and Leia are cute….I really like Luke, he's hot…." and my mother's reply was something along the lines of "NO YOU CAN'T LIKE HIM!!!! I HATE HIM HE'S WHINY AND ANNOYING!!!" >.> Thanks mom.

The rest his history.  I watched Return of the Jedi that night and cried.  I'd definitely found something amazing. 
Now that I think about it, I cannot even remember what I did before Star Wars.  It has made me such a different person….I have friends, I do all sorts of things because of Star Wars. 

As soon as I learned how cool Star Wars was, I learned how uncool it was to like it.  Seriously.  I was made fun of, called names, picked on, teased, by my own family as well as people I considered friends at the time.  I was (and still am thought I'm much prouder now) known as the "Geek" or "Nerd".  Ya know what?  COOL.  SWEET!  TITLES.

It wasn't long before I did research and got so into Star Wars there was no escape.  It sucked me in. DEEP.  I went to Star Wars Weekends with my sister and dad and had NO CLUE WHAT WAS GOING ON.  Thinking back, I probably could've seen Savanna or one of my other friends.  Vanna, how weird would that be?!  xD  I almost wish I could go back and see that day….where I was so confused and weirded out by all the awesomeness.  I had no idea what anything was!!! I got to meet Ashley Eckstein and she gave me a Her Universe sticker.

Ha.  Her Universe.  I followed that site RELIGIOUSLY.  I checked every day for it to officially open.  When it did, I commented constantly on the blogs.  I made friends.  It became a message board.  YES. PERFECT.  I was thrilled.  I was on it constantly.  Long road to nowhere for my parents….I was hooked on the internet, there was no escape.  Next thing I knew, I had my own blog, my own forum, twitter, gmail, Facebook, Tumblr, Skype and more!!! :O  It was crazy. 

All this *gestures to life* because of Star Wars.  Me seeing those movies was definitely a "God Thing" because there is no way in the galaxy it could've happened by chance.  I've met so many people.  My best friends, my sisters, my writing buddies, my inspiration, my….husbands…..(husbandS…) xD and many more. 

If you went back in time and told 12 year old me that I'd be going to a Star Wars convention and meeting up with internet friends, she would've told you you were completely insane.  Maybe I am completely insane.  But that's okay.  I've got a ton of equally as insane friends who I love very dearly….*glances at Autumn*…;)

So CVI is right around the corner.  Do you realize how EXCITED I am for this?!  I get to spend FOUR WHOLE DAYS with my favorite people doing our favorite things.  FANGIRLING OVER STAR WARS!!!!!  Fandom time!! 

Speaking of Fandoms....if I never had seen Star Wars, none of my other fandoms would've existed.  My obsession with Steve Rogers?  That was only because Tara bugged me to see the movie until I eventually did.  My love for The Avengers?  All on Tara. 
X-Wing Pilots?  Tara and Lareen all the way….
Luke, Mara, Han, Leia, EU in general….I'll blame Nanci for this one….her fanfics had me hooked on Luke and Mara from the start.  Always and forever my favorite FF author (besides my friends' stuff we write together).
Avatar and Legend of Korra?  Tumblr, baby.  If I didn't like Star Wars, or Avengers, I wouldn't have joined Tumblr.  I wouldn't have seen all the Korra spam and wondered what the heck it was, and then proceed to watch it.  And then Avatar. 
Doctor Who….I'll blame this one on two people.  My awesome friend Ashley Tahg and equally as awesome friend Chris.  Ashley told me my mom looked like River Song.  Mom liked what she saw in River and decided to pop in on Netflix.  Chris is my enabler when it comes to Doctor Who, because he's seen it all!!!! :D We talked about it for quite a while….goodness.  Such cool people like that show. XD Now I get why!!!
Lord of the Rings….blogger thing.  I knew friends who liked it, tried it, loved it, obsessed over it, yeeuup.

SEE ALL THE FANDOMS??!!?!! I AM WHO I AM BECAUSE OF STAR WARS.  The only thing that I loved before Star Wars was Disney, but that's a family thing since I grew up with it. ;D

I'm listening to the Star Wars A New Hope soundtrack while typing this.  SO MANY FEELS.  I am beginning to realize that in exactly 16 days I will be hearing the beautiful soundtracks for FOUR DAYS STRAIGHT while living it up in a galaxy far far away with my most awesome friends.  I cannot WAIT to see everyone at CVI!!!!!! :D

Well…...this has amounted to ranting, hasn't it?  So ultimately, 6 movies, many friends, websites, fanfics and joyous moments later, I'm a hardcore lifetime Star Wars fan, and I'm very, very proud.  Don't get me started on this….as you can see, I'll just go on and on for days.  May the Force be with you my friends…..see you in 16 days!!!! ;) 

P.S. My parents are the most to blame for all of this.....though we had a rocky start with the world of fandom, quite honestly they are the worst at enabling me to be who I am. ;D I love it.  Thanks mommy and daddy!!! Or should I say Han and Leia?  Or should I say River and....dad.....?  Are you the Doctor?  I'm not too sure, that might mess with my head a bit too much.....(oh look more ranting)


8 comments:

  1. I knew only part of the story of how you became a Star Wars fan but now that I know more I can really say I love your story! :) I feel the same way- lifetime Star Wars fan with many other fandoms because of it :D I got into Star Wars the same year as you, but back then I think I was around ten. Have fun at CVI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My how far we have traveled in time and space. Literally. You are growing up right before our eyes and it has been a joy to watch you discover so many new things, while making connections with history. You have inspired me to start writing and I'm sure you have inspired many others as well. Our God gets all the the glory, for he is the grand creator and master imagineer. How Exciting! I love you and I know you know.
    Love Mom
    p.s. Mommy and Daddy are lucky to have two wonderful daughters. May God Bless you both

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOOOWWWOOOOOO *Runs around clapping and squealing*

    Hi. I likes this post. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Fallon!!! :D :D I agree, even though I have many fandoms, Star Wars will always be number 1 :D. Star Wars just plain ROCKS!! :D XD. I also can't wait for CVI!!! It's going to be totally epic-awesome!! :D I definitely am looking forward to meeting everyone! :D
    See you there :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG ALKDSJFH:SDF MEET THE ROBINSONS REFERENCE.

    *ahem*

    *eyeballs crazy Fal*

    And I still can't believe how hardcore you got as a SW fan just since 2010! XD Fangirldom has been my entire life! :O AND NOW YOU'RE A PART OF IT. *GLOMPS*

    I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU AND HUG YO FACE.

    LKADJHFGLJSHDGFLJSHDFG

    ReplyDelete
  6. awsome post sister :D Loving your starwar story i agree starwars will always be #1 and has definitly changed lives :D wow only 14 days til c6 yikes and yay its coming so fast can't wait to see you there love ya girly God bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Star Wars story is just plain awesome. :DDDDDDDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow......ok that was beautiful. I smiled the entire time I was reading it. lol. I thought I was the only one who's life was dramatically changed by Star Wars. I loved this story. amazing! one day I hope I can go to a Star Wars convention:)

    ReplyDelete

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, but do not say it mean!!!
Thanks for commenting!!!!