Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Gift Of Childcare

Here's yet another "inspirational" that I thought up.  I was inspired to write this yesterday, after a fun experience. ;)

I love kids.
Okay....allow me to explain.  A lot of teenagers these days are quite self-centered.  Even I am sometimes...wanting to do what I WANT, when I WANT, and not really caring about anything else.  It's not easy to grow up in a day and age where society encourages you to sit back and have everything handed to you on a silver platter.

But that isn't what this post is about.
I like doing more than just sitting back and being lazy.  I love helping out adults/parents and I especially love taking care of kids.  Especially small ones.

For as long as I can remember, I've been a "little mommy".  When my sister was born (though I don't remember this TOO well...since I was only six...) I took care of her, I loved her, and I took care of ALLLL my baby dolls like they were my baby sister.  (nawww)
Whenever me and my cousin and sister would play dolls (which we did a LOT growing up) I was always the mom.  I always had that maternal instinct to take care of the babies/kids.

As I got older, I was able to nurture those passions and loves.  Now I work at our dance studio, teaching ballet, tap and jazz to 2-3 year olds and 4-5 year olds.  My little girls are the highlight of my week.  I love spending time with them.  To them I'm "Miss Fallon (insert real name there)", and I get to carry them, hug them, let them sit in my lap, and just get to be there with them.


I've heard some teens say that they don't like kids, or that they're not "good with kids".  Essentially what I've got from that is that they are A. have no siblings, B. don't know what to do/don't have that maternal instinct or C. they think all kids are bratty, snot-nosed, and gross.
I don't have any of the above.

Yesterday I was helping my sister's music teacher at her little kid music class.  They were learning about stringed instruments, and Miss Susan (Glory's teacher) asked if I could come in and show the kids my violin and viola.  I agreed, and brought three instruments with me (my viola, my violin and my student model violin for the kids to play with).  The first kid to get there was a little girl.
I knew this little girl because I teach her dance class.  The way her face lit up when she saw me made my heart melt.  :)
"Miss Fallon (insert real name here)!" she yelled, and ran to me to give me a huge hug.  Her mom knew me, and went to pick up her son from school, knowing her daughter was in good hands between me and the Miss Susan.  ;)  This little girl held my hand the entire class, she sat at my side or in my lap, and she was really interested in hearing the violin/viola since I was the one playing it.  ;)  I was honored.  When Miss Susan introduced me to the class as just "Fallon (insert real name here)" My little girl said "No Miss Susan, that's MISS Fallon, and she teaches me dance!"  *heart melts into puddle on the floor*
I received hugs and kisses from this little girl yesterday, and she said that she would see me at dance in two days.  :)

I also knew one of the boys in the class, since I taught his sister last year.  His sister knew me when she came to pick him up, and rushed to give me a hug as well.  So did the mom (she's also my dentist! LOL)! ;)

This got me thinking.  So many little girls look up to me.  They know me as "Miss Fallon (insert real name here)", their dance teacher.  I've seen little girls around town or at the store a few times, and the moms always recognize me and say hello, and talk with me, and the little girls always give me hugs.  I'm so happy to be in those little girl's lives.  I feel like I'm making a difference.  I love helping them, I love taking care of them and getting to be their teacher and pseudo-big sister.

Glo's other friends all look up to me, they talk to me, and play with me, and know if they ever need anything, they can go to "Fally (insert real nickname here)", Glory's older sister.  :)  It's an amazing feeling.Even at P.E., I'm a big sister to my sister's friends.  Her best friend takes dance with her, and that little (not so little, she's ten like Glo) girl loves me.  I get a billion hugs, she sits on me, and she and Glo are always playing with me, and cracking up together.  She's my second little sister.

To know that I am making an impact on the lives of these little girls (and even some little boys too) makes me feel so incredibly blessed.  It's a gift to take care of small children (and even big children).  When a little girl gets hurt in dance class, the first person she runs to is me.  She knows she can find comfort in me, and that I'll either take her to mommy or give her a bandaid and help her feel better.  One of my three year olds did that  few weeks ago in dance, she hit her head on the ballet barre and got scared.  She instantly ran to my side, crying, wanting to be held.  I picked her up and helped her feel better.  I got her to stop crying and continue dancing in less than three minutes.  Not a lot of people can do that.  I've been told that I have the magic touch.  ;)

I thank God for this gift that he's given me.  The gift of childcare.  I hope someday I can use this in more than just a volunteer setting.  I'll follow wherever He leads me with it, whether it's to have my own family, or take care of other people's children, I'm up for the challenge.

Do you have the gift of child-care?  If not, what are special gifts that you DO have, something not everyone else can do?  We're all made special and individually, with God's hand on each of us and our talents.  Tell me about yours.  ;)  Own it!  Be proud!

14 comments:

  1. Bravo! Excellent post! I LOVE little kids, especially 1-2 year olds because I can hold them for hours. I sadly don't see many little kids EVER now and my baby brother is now a hyper five year old, not so much a baby. At our last church though, I and one other girl were always ready to hold one of the little ones so their moms could have their hands free. It was so nice to be trusted with a little infant or a ten month old. :)

    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww!!!!! Jamie that is amazing!!! ;) So sweet. And yes, I LOVE that feeling. My viola teacher's wife recently had a baby, so little Jacob gets to come to my lessons sometimes. He's only 6 months old, but he LOVES me and my daddy, so we get to play with him a lot. <3333 Such a sweetheart!!!
      Love to hear for ya, thanks for the comment!! <3
      Fal :)

      Delete
  2. OHMYGOSH FALLON. You are so much my twin, it's scary. xDDD This post could have been written about me!! :O When I'm out and about (shopping, eating ANYTHING) little kids that I don't even know will grin at me and say hello and little babies will squeel with excitement just because I look at them!! xD Actually, I'm going to take a technical college course on childcare before going off to regular college! I would love to work at a daycare or dance school or something eventually. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH!!!!! This IS scary!!!!! Autumn....that's what I want a degree in!!!!! ;) Either that or Music Education actually. ;) That is so funny, little kids do that to me too!!!! Random little kids will come over to me, hug me, hold my hand, I may not even know them at all or that well and they start talking to me! LOL!! ;) And Babies smile at me often. ;) SO FUNNY WE ARE JUST EXACTLY ALIKE TWINSSAAAAHHHHH. ;D

      Love you lots,
      Fally <3

      Delete
  3. XD I'm sure Ember LOVES being known as your little sister.

    I would consider myself good with kids, because I hang out with them all the time. I think it's the goofy way I look XD.

    Love ya! TTYL

    Amaranthine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH. She does. And she absolutely loves me for it. XD She holds my hand in public places like we're little kids. We've actually been asked if we were 12 before, because we were giggling, holding hands, and I was carrying her backpack. XD

      I hang out with them too. I get along better with younger kids and adults than I do other teens...;) And I'm okay with that. I'm that awkward 15 year old kid holding a 4 year old at parties and get togethers. True story. ;)

      Love ya!!!
      JC/Fal <3

      Delete
  4. This post is SO sweet <3 I too love little kids (i kind of have to, i have 3 lil sibs)! Yesterday i was at this home-school nature thing with my brother and made a lot of new friends... They were like seven yrs old :) i hope as you get older you still love little kids, if you do you'll probaly be an awesome mum :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwhhhh!! SO SWEET!! You are definitely good with kids! :D I love hearing about Baby Mara and all of Glo Girl's friends from you.

    I'm not sure if I'm a kid lover myself though. I've never had the desire to want kids of my own or take care of children. It's fun to play with kiddos every now and then but, (sadly) sometimes I get annoyed with them. My heart goes to the other end of the ages. While elderly people can be a handful on their own, I enjoying talking to them and hearing about their life stories. Older men and women are so experienced and hold do much knowledge that I like being around them more than kids....but that doesn't mean that I'd like to care for them either. ;P

    Hopefully I'll get to teach some super adorable kids over the summer when I become a swim instructor!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fallon I love this post. I feel the same way, you have definitly been given a gift and you are using it well.
    I love little kids, I have been teaching religous ed kindergarten since i was 14 (like 7 years) and the joy i get from teaching them and introducing them to God is indescriable. especially when after class they run up and give me a hug like you my heart just melts. I have kids come back to me or see me in church and run up to me and hug me or say hi (some of them are in middle school now, very scary thought i feel sooo old).
    Working with children is definitly my life calling, and I am currently working to becoming a preschool or kindergarten teacher.

    continue to use your gift well and be a source of joy and comfort to all those little lives you touch. Fanstastic post God bless

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have the gift - I am proud of you for embracing it and being a light unto others. It is important to be a true to who you are - like being a good role model and kind/caring person. Just remember the little ones grow up fast (you sure did) and it's important to enjoy every moment you have with them. I love you like crazy cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you certainly do have a gift!

    I love babysitting and working at vbs, but I don't think I could do it full-time. I really don't want to be a mom at all. It's not that kids annoy me, or anything like that. The reason is very, very
    personal and has to do with family problems I've had in the past.

    At first, I thought this made me a very selfish person. But then I started volenteering with the Jr. High kids at their youth, and found my place with them. I really enjoy volenteering at their youth, making sure no one gets left out and they can talk with me if they need someone to talk to. I'm much happier being a listening ear and a voice of advice than I am being a caregiver. I think everyone is different with different gifts.

    And who knows, I may change my mind someday ;)

    Keep on being such an amazing big sister! The Lord has great things in store for you!

    Love you! <333

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Fallon :) I like working with kids; it's not something I'd want to do for a living, but I can definitely play with little kids very easily(that probably has to do with the fact that I have a little brother and younger cousins). I'm glad that you enjoy that you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here I come behind everyone else. LOL! It was a good post, again. I must say I've never been good at holding/watching little kids though I always enjoyed it. (or at least I'm better at it when nobody's watching me) There was this little girl at a church we used to go to and since none of my peers would sit with me I would pull her on my lap and we would draw together. LOL! It was so heartwarming to draw her pictures and just hold her on my lap. Keep up the big sistering because it truly does effect the 'little sisters'; which is something I can say from experience from my real sister and other older girls I've known.
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Working and playing with children is wonderful! What a great gift to have ^_^

    I don't know that I'm all that good with little kids, because I don't have a bushel of younger siblings like a lot of people. However I do really enjoy kids... and I find I get along really well with kids around the age of, say, 10 or a bit older.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, but do not say it mean!!!
Thanks for commenting!!!!