Saturday, May 19, 2012

Legend of Korra (among other things)

Okay, so I really ought to be packing for my upcoming trips and tomorrow's Dance Rehearsal.....but I want to type out my thoughts. :)

First of all, yesterday I met Tara in Disney and OH MY GOODNESS BEST DAY EVER!  :D  It was perfect.  I /think/ she doesn't mind me posting pictures, so I'll post two of us.  ;)  We got to see Avengers together!!!! THAT was amazing.  We'd literally been dreaming of doing that since finding out the release date for the film.  :)

Here's us before leaving (both of us started crying later....XD)


And here's us in front of the movie theater!! :D


Alright.  Now for the title of this post.......Legend of Korra.

Now I knew this show existed.  My tumblr dashboard was constantly full of Korra spam and I had no clue what it was.  Eventually I narrowed it down to it being about some people named Korra, Mako, Bolin, Tenzin and the evil guy Amon.  I also found out that Pabu was some kind of ferret mixed with a red panda and was super cute.
And a lot of people ship Mako and Korra.
That was where my knowledge ended.

This morning I was babysitting my sister while my parents ran some errands.  We finished our chores and we decided to watch a bit of TV.  After seeing some rude homeschool-bashing humor on Disney Channel (I ranted about that to poor Glo-Girl for about ten minutes....XD) we flipped to Nickelodon.  The new Legend of Korra episode started, so I decided to watch since I knew how much the internet and several of my friends liked it.  :D

I WAS SO SURPRISED.  It was fantastic.  :D  I loved the latest episode, and then (while simultaneously doing math homework (which I finished)), I watched all of the released episodes.  :D  It's so good!!!! I get the plot, even without watching the first Avatar series.  This one is great.  :D



So overall, here's the plot.  There are these people who can control the elements.  They're called the "benders".  The people who can't control the elements are called "nonbenders".  The Benders are often trained to use their powers.  Others aren't.  Korra is a young girl who discovers she can control many powers.  She can use all the elements, making her the Avatar.  :D

The last Avatar was Aang, who ended the Hundred Years War, and brought peace to the world.  He also created Republic City, a capitol for all the people to live together in peace.  Well, everyone can guess how that ends.....politics falls apart and the city is kinda hanging on a thread.

Tenzin, who is the son of Katara and Aang (heroes from the last series) is the airbending master, and takes on Korra as his apprentice.  Korra can easily control Earth, Water, and Fire bending powers, but Air Bending is much harder.  She learns to use her gifts and new ones along the way.

Korra meets Mako and Bolin, who are "pro-benders" (people who use their bending powers for sport) and they become friends.  She watches their pro-bending tournaments, and then ends up joining their team.  They become better friends, but her being the only girl with two brothers ends up to some awkwardness around episode 4 and 5 (especially episode 5 gahhhh).

Now here's where it gets REALLY interesting.  :D  Amon is the guy who wants to get rid of ALL the Benders, and create "equality" for all.  He leads the group of people called the "Equalists".
I can think of SO MANY ways of how Amon and his band of useful idiots (the equalists) really compare to today and today's political system.  Let's make everyone equal and give everyone the same opportunities because it's only fair.  No one can be gifted or blessed because not EVERYONE can be, and it's just not fair to all the un-gifted people!!  It's offensive and oppressive!!  (I hope you're catching my sarcasm about now....)

If there's anything I can't stand, it's "social justice".  Guess what?  Life's not fair.  A lot of people have to learn to deal with that.  You can't run to the government or anyone to fix your problems.  Only God has the power to fix you, and you need to let him first.  Putting everyone on a generalized level is a way to gain control.  Legend of Korra proved that .  When you have enough stupid people willing to fight for your cause and support you, you can take over anything.

Those are my two cents on that whole deal.....now I'll talk a bit more about fun stuff.

My favorite characters are Korra and Bolin.  Bolin reminds me of Wes Janson, with how funny he is and how immature at times.  ;)  He's really adorable, and can be tough and protective when he needs to be.  Totally Wes Janson.  ;D



Korra is just too awesome for words.  She kicks butt, and she isn't afraid to really show the bad guy's who's boss.  ;)  Her voice is just beautiful too.  And she's a great friend! :D



Also there's Pabu.


So overall, I'll be tuning in every Saturday morning now.  Or at least watching online.  I'm interested to see where the whole Equalist thing gets everyone. XD  I have more political speculations, but to avoid ticking anyone off, I'm going to click publish and start my packing.

Alright everyone, goodnight!! :D


P.S. That whole Korra summary was on the spot with my knowledge from today's episode watchings, so ignore any mistakes.  XD

P.S.S. In other news, I am listening to the Avengers Score Soundtrack and it is beyond beautiful.  I want to see the movie for the 5th time sometime soon. :D

9 comments:

  1. I think what you meant to say is that you can't stand "social justice", where groups of people get special treatment over others based on "it's not fair that you have a water buffalo and I don't and I want a water buffalo, but haven't done the work to get a water buffalo. or I don't have water buffalo opportunities" "Equal Justice" is just that everyone no matter if you have zero water buffalos or a million are treated equal in the eyes of the law, Justice is blind, we are a nation of laws. or should be. This is an age old issue and words do get confusing, it isn't always so cut and dry. We must remember we are all unique and have unique talents and gifts that make us special and unique. But it is good to think and to find the connections in fiction to real life. So many movies and shows reflect these themes over and over. To quote Syndrome "When everybody is Super, then no-one will be"
    I did not see the Good Luck Charlie show, but I'm sure the two boys on the show are model students, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Seams2Be :D YAY MOMMY HAI *HUGS* :D Thank you for correcting me, and I'll fix it. :D You're so funny mom....;) I still want a Water Buffalo, and I totally thought of the Syndrome quote while writing this post. ;D
    Oh yes, because Good Luck Charlie's boys are SUCH great role models...:P

    Love ya mom!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard a lot about the series. I think I might check it out some time. Although I never really watched any of the Avatar series. Also have you ever watched the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes TV series or the new Thundercats series? Both are surprisingly good. And Thundercats is kind of looks like Korra in the animation style. :)

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did you find episodes? They haven't aired where I live yet so I'm waiting and wishing that they would hurry up and arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!! So glad you like Legend of Korra! You need to watch ATLA too, you'd love it!!! I know you'll love Sokka XD He's hilarious XD And there's some inside jokes in Korra that you'll only get if you've seen ATLA.

    MTFBWY!

    <3 Satine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you have trouble shutting off the little thinker (just like your teacher). I love to see you finding deeper meaning in life - even when it comes from cartoons. p.s. - it was my pleasure and privilege to drive you to Orlando to be united with your now IRL friend (happy memories - well at least until the drive home). The doctor is always in and here's a little secret he won't charge you for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Fallon! Can I call you that? Just so you know, I LOVE this blog! Ummmm...quick question. I saw your "copyscape" thing..."DO NOT COPY" thing? And I was wondering...uhhh...exactly what that means and also if you would mind me copying the awesome pictures you post into my files (computer, drive, whatever). WOULD you mind? Because...if you don't mind...I'd really like your permission to do that since you post such cool pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anon: Hi!!! Yes, you may call me Fallon, you mysterious internet entity....and feel free to save the pictures. The copy-scape thing is more that people won't steal my writing and claim it as their own. XD Don't worry about the pictures, because most of them aren't mine to begin with (unless I say that I took them...) So yeah. Don't sweat it. ;) Enjoy!!!
    And feel free to show your face/name, lovely Anon!!

    Fallon <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fallon: Thank you!!! I have some awesome pictures in my background slideshow. ;) I noticed you changed the look of your blog. It looks good! :D I really like it...so sparkly! :D :D :D
    -Peri

    ReplyDelete

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, but do not say it mean!!!
Thanks for commenting!!!!