Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Volcanoes and Science Gone Wrong

I know, I know.  Third post today, but I just downloaded the pictures, and my mom says I don't post enough on school and that my friends will think I'm lazy and spoiled and do nothing all day long.  :P

So, a few weeks ago, in science, we studied Volcanoes.  I learned quite a lot.  Very interesting!!!  I learned about the Ring of Fire, what causes Earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions.  We made LapBooks on the subjects and had a good time.  I learned that there are four types of Volcanoes, (and for extra credit and to prove to my mom that I do care about school,) I'll tell you them.

Shield: Shield Volcanoes  are made up of layers of lava.  The lava is really fluid and runny when it comes out of the Volcano

Cinder Cone: Cinder Cone Volcanoes are made up of many layers of rock and ash

Lava Dome:  Lava Dome Volcanoes are made up of lava that is piled on top of itself creating the dome.

and

Composite: Composite Volcanoes are made up of alternating layers of lava and ash.

FUN FACT: Did you know that Lava underground is called Magma?  It is only called Lava when it reaches the Earth's surface.

There.  School.  Now for the funny story that goes with my Volcanic experience.

To complete our study of Volcanoes, my mom decided to let my sister and I create baking soda volcanoes.  We didn't use paper mache or clay or anything, instead we used sand and water bottles.  Here's what mine looked like:
It was pretty messy.  That was the before the eruption picture.  Here's during the eruption:

And here's After:
Beautiful isn't it?  Well, I might've added a little TOO much water....Oh well.

So, next, my sister had the bright idea of taking off her shoes and stepping in the sand/water/baking soda/vinegar/soap mixture and squishing it between her toes.  After hearing, "You've got to try this!  It feels so funny!!  It's cold and squishy!" like twenty times, I tried it.


My mom walked into the house to put away the baking soda and vinegar, and then I decided I had enough of mushy ex-volcano gunk.  I stepped out of the muck and there was still some gross /squishy/ stuff on my feet so I kicked it off my one foot.  My sister was giggling and I was too.  I then decided (and I really don't konw why) to kick my other foot like a batmont (high kick) like in dance.  I forgot that I was wearing a jean skirt.

The skirt was limiting and didn't let me kick as high as I could've.  I got my other leg pulled out from under me and in the two minutes my mom was inside, I was face down on the cement covered in the volcano muck and laughing my head off.

I wasn't that hurt.  I had a badly scraped elbow and a skinned hand, but I mainly had a bruised pride.  My mom came back out to find me laying flat on my stomach, crying and laughing at the same time.  I had sand, baking soda, and vinegar in my elbow, which was bleeding and bruised.  I got no sympathy.  She was laughing, and when my mom asked what happened, my sister said, "She was being an idiot!!!"  I was like, "Gee thanks Nutmeg!!" 

I'm fine now.  I survived a Volcanic Eruption and have lived to tell the tale.  My elbow has scarred.  :D

So that was my experience with Volcanoes.  Here is a picture of my Lapbook.

It was actually double sided with two more flaps, but I couldn't post all ten pictures to show y'all that.

So goes the tale of Science Gone Wrong.  I could tell you all about our Earthquake experience, but that's a different story.  ;)

Jedi~Chick <3

P.S. I'm going to do more Homeschooling posts.  Read my comments for the previous post.  I forgot something about my beach experience!!!  :D

P.P.S. Here is the song that inspired this post:

Enjoy!!!!!  That's more Jimmy Buffet BTW! ;)

11 comments:

  1. Scars........don't you just hate/love 'em? I have so many scar stories.....new post idea! :D

    I like your volcano! We never do stuff like that.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha!!! yeah, I've got a few of those stories too....

    Thanks!! That was a very fun project! LOL! ;D

    Jedi~Chick <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I give you a tip? Your font is pretty hard to read. It would be better a shade darker or two. :) Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Amaranthine, I'm grateful for your comments on my redesign!! I need help with these things! :) Does it look better now? I made it a bit darker. Thank you,
    Jedi~Chick <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh volcano projects. I did one of those in 5th grade. It was pretty fun except it failed and squirted water in my face. xD

    I wish I had sisters. *sigh*

    Oh oh and I see SOMEONE is wearing shorts!!! *jealous*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously? LOL! That is really a funny story.

    I love learning about volcanoes as well. I find them interesting. =)

    -Leia <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Qui, are you JEALOUS?

    I never want to wear shorts again. Just the thought........**shivers and hides under a blanket**

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leia: Thanks!! It was a fun/strange experience!!!

    Qui: LOL! It was hot that day....and I was wearing a jean skort that went a bit past my knee I think.....yup. It was that one! XD

    Endor: What happened that traumatized your shorts experience? I'm wearing a pair now!!! ;D LOL!

    Jedi~Chick <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh volcanoes!!! Your volcanoe looked great!! Well, before the eruption. Then it looked awesome. Funny story!!!

    Volcanoes are fascinating....

    -Barriss :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why Thank You Barriss!!! I loved that volcano....*sniff, sniff* then it hurt me and the friendship ended. Thanks, I still laugh about it now....even though it was quite embarrassing on my part! LOL!

    I agree.....

    Jedi~Chick <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL That's hilarious!!!! Volcanoes weren't very fun for us, because we spent 3 whole weeks working on some project that I still don't understand, and then we spent a week decorating our teacher's door. :|

    ReplyDelete

Say what you mean, and mean what you say, but do not say it mean!!!
Thanks for commenting!!!!